Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Eggstra, Eggstra!

Oh man, I am so far behind. Every holiday requires some serious recovery time on my part. Last week, our house was immaculate; you could eat off the floor! Of course, by my standards, being able to eat off the floor means that you will probably still end up eating a cat hair or two...But NOW...Silas dropped his teether on the floor during lunch and I thought I picked up a chinchilla (which, incidentally, we did actually have a chinchilla at one point; RIP, Elvis).

Christmas took a month and a half to regain some semblance of normalcy around here, and Easter's not looking much better. I swear I'm not even over-exaggerating. The guy who is drywalling our sunroom told me today that our house looks "lived in." This same guy also knew he was having a heart attack thanks to a Dr. Oz episode, loves to reminisce about his days spent biking to Pittsburgh to pick up the "white lady," and quite smoking weed a month before his grandson was born because he didn't want the kid to have a "pothead pappy." From these context clues, I'm pretty sure his standard for "lived in" speaks for itself.

I'm trying, though! At lunch today, Christian praised my cleaning efforts because he could "actually see the counters" in the kitchen. There are just so many things I'd rather do with my time. I do really need to recover soon, however...Administrative Professional's Day and Earth Day are back-to-back in two weeks, and who knows how much of a set-back that'll be...

Anyway, while I avoid the laundry a bit longer, here are some highlights from two of our Easter "eggsperiments" (yes, I do so love wordplay).

1. Easter Eggs!
Christian's sister was in to visit for the weekend, and we had a blast coloring eggs for Silas's first Easter. Or at least that's what we told ourselves. I don't have any pictures of Silas pretending to dip an egg into the dye and vinegar mixture because...well...he was already in bed. Oops!

Along with the classic food coloring, we also tried out Martha Stewart's "tie-dye" technique this year (Martha, please hire me for my mad wordplay skills!!). It was super easy and resulted in some pretty impressive Easter egg variety. Check out the close-up on the right. (Note: If you ever decide to try this, we found that darkest, ugliest ties yielded the prettiest, most patterned eggs.)


2. Peep Show!
I came across the Peeps Sunflower Cake last year after Easter and happened to stumble upon it again this year, just in time to whip it up for our family dinner. It turned out beautifully; however, it did require Christian making an impromptu and frenzied trip to one grocery store and two gas stations to find more Peeps.

And with the notion that Peeps can turn a cake into a sunflower, I suppose it's time to continue my excavation efforts. A glass of Black Box Cabernet and the DVRed episode of last night's LOST are planned rewards for rediscovering my foyer floor...or at least for creating a path to the staircase. Though it's a bit overdue, I hope you peeps had an speggtacular Easter weekend! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment